Snow days are the best.
When those snow days come with blizzard conditions and high winds, however, parents and kids alike sometimes have to contain their excitement and wait for things to calm down a little bit before they head out to the sledding hills and outdoor ice skating rinks. While you are waiting for the weather to adjust so that you can send your kids outside for awhile, what do you do to keep everyone happy and entertained?
For some parents, even though the temperatures are cold outside, they still have some traditional snow day habits that they like to follow. From waffles for breakfast to ice cream for lunch, snow days are often a day where parents let their kids enjoy a little craziness. With board game tournaments until the sledding can begin to family jigsaw puzzles and televisions series binge watching, there are few things as fun as an unexpected snow day.
Ice Cream Sundaes Are a Perfect Afternoon Treat Any Time of Year
Even when the temperatures outside are freezing, many people still enjoy a frozen treat inside. With colored spoons and coordinating paper ice cream cups, a snow day ice cream celebration can seem pretty festive. Interestingly enough, no matter what time of the year it is many Americans are accustomed to having at least one bowl of ice cream before they go to bed at night.
Consider some of these tasty tidbits about Americans and their ice cream and other frozen treat eating habits:
- 90% of U.S. households regularly indulge in a frozen, sweet treat.
- Vanilla remains the most popular flavor among consumers, capturing at 28% of the votes, according to a recent survey of International Ice Cream Association member companies.
- 1.5 billion gallons of ice cream and similar desserts are produced in the U.S. every year.
- There were an estimated 2,582 frozen yogurt stores in America at the end of 2013.
- After the churning process, ice cream generally contains more than 50% air.
- 9% of all the milk produced by U.S. dairy farmers is used in the production of ice cream.
Whether your family is getting ready to celebrate an unexpected day off school or a birthday, you cannot go wrong if you plan ice cream for part of the festivities!