Opening up your own cats at play cafe is a great way to combine a love for cats with delicious treats and beverages that everyone enjoys. If you’re thinking of purchasing a cats at play cafe or if you want to create a custom cafe from the ground up, there are a few ways to get started. Launching a cats at play cafe is not typically an overnight endeavor, but it is possible with enough passion and dedication to properly run an establishment with cats.
Research Local Requirements
Before you can open any cafe to the public, you will need to research local requirements and laws that are in place in your region. Some regions may restrict the opening of a dining establishment that includes pets, which is why it’s so important to determine your legal rights ahead of time. When researching local requirements, keep potential taxes and setup fees in mind, as these may vary from one location to another.
Scout Land and Commercial Properties
Once you have familiarized yourself with the local laws and requirements regarding the process of opening a cat cafe, you can then begin scouting land and commercial properties you’re interested in. Not all commercial properties will be the same. Spend time researching both the interior and exterior of the properties that appeal to you to determine which ones are most suitable for your needs. With a cat cafe, you may be in need of a commercial kitchen, adequate restroom facilities, and even a full dining and play area. Having a complete vision of the cat cafe you intend to build is extremely helpful for scouting land and comparing commercial properties once you are ready.
Take Time to Compare Local Competition
If you’re planning to open your very own cats at play cafe, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the local competition you have in your area. Even if you are not opening a bakery or a vape shop, getting to know more about local properties near the one you’re interested in may be the key to your future success. When you are keenly aware of local competition, you can also determine whether or not it’s a good idea to move forward with the prospect of a cats play cafe.
Compare Amenities and Features
Anytime you’re investing in commercial properties, it’s important to compare amenities and features that are included in those available near you. Finding a great deal can significantly reduce the additional costs necessary to invest in order to launch your cat cafe to the public. By purchasing an existing commercial kitchen or cafe, you will immediately gain access to the features, facilities, and amenities that were previously used.
Retain Proper Legal Representation
Anytime you are thinking of opening a cats at play cafe of your own, it’s imperative to retain proper legal representation. Whenever you are going into business or making a commercial investment, having the right lawyer or attorney by your side is essential. From working with a corporate attorney to a personal injury lawyer, legal representation helps to protect you from potential lawsuits, liability, and other legal or financial woes. When you are in the process of developing your business plan and seeking investors, reach out to a lawyer who is right for your needs. When looking for legal representation regarding the process of starting a coffee shop, be sure to look for the following:
- Case portfolio and experience: Always take the time to inquire about case studies and the portfolios of attorneys you’re interested in retaining for your own legal needs. Review the experience each attorney has had to determine who is well-suited to help you with your own business endeavors.
- Track record: In addition to reviewing the experience of attorneys you are thinking of hiring, it’s highly advisable to compare track records when it comes to cases that may be relevant to your own. Seek out a lawyer who is not only knowledgeable about owning and operating a cat cafe, but one that has solid and verifiable evidence of their abilities.
- Referrals: Choosing the right attorney to hire can feel tedious and overwhelming. This is especially true if you’ve never had to hire a lawyer in the past or if you’re going into business for the first time. If you’re unsure of where to begin and look, consider asking trusted family members, friends, and business associates for referrals and recommendations. Referrals and recommendations can go a long way from someone you trust.
- Online presence: If you want to verify that an attorney is legitimate, consider spending a bit of time researching them online. Researching a lawyer online will not only provide you with details regarding their legal abilities and qualifications, but it will provide you with the ability to browse their online presence. If a lawyer does not have an official website or a social media presence, it can be challenging to determine whether or not they are qualified to take you on as a client. An online presence provides valuable insight into how the public views certain lawyers in your local region.
Secure Necessary Funding
In order to run a successful cats at play cafe, you will also need to secure the necessary funding to both get started and continue with operations. Funding can come in various ways. From investing your own savings and working with those you know to seek out official business loans, there are many different options. Once you have proper legal representation, consider inquiring about the best course of action to take to secure the funding you need, based on your current income level, qualifications, and the commercial properties available near you. A few ways to secure funding for a new commercial investment include:
- Personal funds: Using your own personal funds and savings can help you to put a down payment on a commercial property or location.
- Assistance from those you know: Investments from family members, friends, and business associates can also help create the funding you need for your cat cafe.
- Business loans: Traditional business loans are available for qualifying applicants. Business loans require a complete inspection of credit as well as assets and income in order to qualify.
- Angel investor/VC (Venture Capital): It is also possible to turn to an angel investor or a venture capitalist to secure the funding you need for your cat cafe. In most cases, a VC or angel investor will need a reason to invest in the cafe or the promise of a return in the near future.
Consider Alternative Energy Sources
If you want your cats at play cafe to stand out from the competition, consider utilizing alternative energy sources and solutions in the cafe itself. Work together with local solar energy companies to research your options and determine if an investment in solar roof panels and energy is the right path for you. Contacting a local solar energy company is not only a way to order the roofing panels you need for your cat cafe, but it provides a unique opportunity to learn more about existing solar solutions.
Design a Custom Cafe Style Coffeeshop
Creating a thriving cats at play cafe requires more than simply purchasing cats and delicious beverages to share. To help your cat cafe stand out, consider designing a custom interior that is unlike any other establishment near you. Working with a custom construction company is the best way to get started when you have decided to design your own layout for the cat cafe you are building or plan to manage. Consider the following when choosing the design that matches the aesthetics you envision for the location:
- Colors scheme(s): Consider the color schemes that you intend to use throughout your cafe. Choose one to two primary colors along with one to two accent colors to get started.
- Cat cafe themes: Will you be implementing a particular theme throughout your cat cafe? What type of decor will help bring the theme you have in mind together?
- Comfort and appeal: How appealing is the furniture you have selected for your cat cafe? Is it comfortable and welcoming, or does it appear stiff and uncomfortable?
Create a Unique Exterior for Your Cafe
Along with updating the interior of your cat cafe, you should not forget the exterior and curbside appeal of your location. If you have room for seating and drinking outside, consider working with professionals who specialize in gazebo design for a unique addition to your cafe. If you want to separate your cat cafe from other properties on the block, turn to a reliable fence installation company that works with commercial properties and, specifically, eating establishments.
Choose Themed Furniture
After you have designated a color scheme and theme for your cafe, you can then begin seeking the right furniture for your patrons and guests. From basic office furniture to themed dining gear, the options are virtually endless and only limited by your own imagination. Themed furniture can include patterned dining seats and tables, colorful tablecloths, and even artwork that is part of an entire set that fills your cat cafe.
If you’re unsure of where to start when it comes to finding the right furniture, you can also seek inspiration both locally and online. Finding inspiration is possible by visiting likeminded cafes and establishments or comparing existing cat cafes from home, online. Review popular cat cafes to compare the layout, colors, and themes that were utilized in establishing the cafe itself.
Offer Memberships to Regular Customers
After you have completed all of the hard work, it’s time to relax and open your cats at play cafe to the public. However, hosting a successful grand opening launch is not often as simple as opening the doors to your cafe. You will need a reason to motivate locals to stop in and visit your cats and play cafe for the first time. If you’re just getting started with your cat cafe, you might want to consider offering memberships to your regular and dedicated customers.
Offering country club memberships to your cafe is not only a way to set your cafe apart, but it also provides regulars with an incentive to come back for more in the future. Depending on the number of cats your cafe houses and the space you have available, you can also include perks with the memberships you offer. Offering country club memberships to your cafe will allow those who are involved to feel special and exclusive, while motivating outsiders to learn more about the club itself.
Work With Local Service Providers
Even if you are established with the property of your dreams, you will still need to work with local service providers to successfully maintain your cat cafe. Connecting with a contractor service as a new business owner is highly recommended if you’re unfamiliar with the companies and providers in your area. You can work with a range of waste removal and trash pick up services to keep your commercial space clean and clear at all times. Working with professional cleaners, food delivery drivers, and other local resource providers will help you to set and achieve your business goals while simultaneously giving back to the community. Whenever you’re looking to find local service providers, it’s important to keep the following tips in mind:
- Experience: Search for local service providers who are experienced in the food and dining industry. Finding service providers who are also experienced at working with animals is also a plus, especially when you own and operate a cat cafe of your own.
- Positive track record: Choosing a local service provider to hire will also depend on their proven track record. Verify that the service provider you choose has valid references and recommendations that can be verified.
- Licensing and insurance: Always avoid hiring a service provider if they are unable to provide proof of their licenses and insurance as a contractor. Always hire those that are licensed and insured to protect yourself as much as possible.
Whether you’re interested in investing in a cats at play cafe for the first time or if you are looking to expand your current investment portfolio, cats at play cafe establishments are continuing to trend upward. With the right preparation, legal representation, and business plan, you will be well on your way to opening up a successful cats at play cafe style coffeeshop.