Whether you’re planning a menu for a wedding reception or corporate event this summer, you simply can’t skimp on the snacks and appetizers. When the sun is high and drinks are flowing, you want to make sure that everyone has something with a little bit of substance in their systems, too. Here are some foolproof tips and fresh ideas to make sure your hors doeuvres menu sets the scene for a perfect summer evening.
- Keep It Seasonal. Nothing says summer like the bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables that are available in their peak and ripest forms. Peppers, squash, watermelon, and berries alongside herbs like basil and mint can really deliver the aura of summer all on their own.
- Keep It Simple. That said, let the food do the talking. For outdoor event menus, it’s best to have very simple finger foods instead of complicated layers or messy dishes. That will also give your guests maximum mobility for mingling.
- Keep It Cool. On hot days, your food needs to be refreshing as well as delicious. It’s important to find outside catering services that can provide ways to keep cold food cold while the sun is baking overhead, both for safety and tasty reasons.
- Keep It Versatile. There’s nothing worse than being surrounded by food and unable to eat any of it. Make sure you prepare ahead of time for guests with food allergies or special dietary needs, and try to have at least one “green” option. Organic and sustainable ingredients are more available than ever before. Recipes can be adjusted and cooking methods can be altered — you just have to make sure the caterers know about it in advance.
- Keep It Fun. Build-your-own food bars are becoming increasingly popular for hors doeuvres menus. Think tacos, sliders, or ice cream sundaes — that your guests can make to their liking!
No matter your occasion, these event catering ideas will help you liven up the party while keeping everything cool in the summer heat. And don’t forget the most important rule of all, as a host or planner: Make sure you enjoy it yourself, and don’t forget to eat!